Monday, November 2, 2009

Biscotti and Yours Truly- A Brief History

Biscotti and I go back. Way back.

Sit back and I'll spin you a tale of my sad little Geography grade, which took a major hit when I brought in lovely homemade Biscotti to share with my class. The theme had been "foods from around the world," and I really thought I had nailed it. I was so excited, in fact, that I had completely forgotten to actually bring the recipe with me, which had been a requirement. Automatic 20 points off? Ouch.

So Biscotti and I took a break, and a long one at that. I simply could not justify all the time and effort that went into making them. Until, alas, I came upon this great little find from my go-to site allrecipes.com.

A cake mix inspired Biscotti recipe wearing the mask of a little homemade number rich in taste? Don't mind if I do!

The beauty of this recipe is that it can be reinvented by simply picking up a different cake mix flavor- I've personally tried white chocolate, apple spice and butter pecan, in addition to the tried and true chocolate.

Biscotti is the perfect way to end a meal with friends. While plating these little lovelies, I'm always quick to offer my guests our Raspberry Mocha Parfait-a timeless combination of Chocolate and Raspberry. I never know what's going to steal the show- the amazing aroma coming from my coffee pot or the melt in your mouth quality of the Biscotti.

So have no fear my fellow modern hostesses- take back your precious time, pick up a box of your favorite cake mix and dive into the world of Biscotti. As long as you arm yourselves with our Raspberry Mocha Parfait, you can't go wrong.

Thanks for visiting!
~Hostess with the Most-ess

www.rivercitybean.com


Ingredients

1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup chocolate syrup
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons shortening

Directions
1.In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry cake mix, flour, butter, chocolate syrup, eggs and extracts; mix well. Stir in the almonds and miniature chocolate chips. Divide dough in half. On ungreased baking sheets, shape each portion into a 12-in. x 2-in. log.

2.Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes o until firm to the touch. Cool for 15 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; carefully cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 1/2-in. slices. Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment